Planning and Economic Development
The Town of Colonie's comprehensive plan, first adopted in 2005, serves as a guide for growth and development in the town. As a guiding document, the comprehensive plan is subject to amendments or updates from time to time to remain current in light of changed concepts, conditions and preferences.
Town of Colonie Comprehensive Plan 2019 - Final
The Town of Colonie updated its Comprehensive Plan in 2019. The updated plan establishes the community’s vision for the future through the discussion of topics such as residential growth, economic development, land use, infrastructure, and community character. The Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee (CPAC) was established by the Town to prepare the comprehensive plan update. The Committee’s recommendations were forwarded to the Town Board for adoption in early 2019 and the 2019 Comprehensive Plan was adopted on July 25, 2019
- Comprehensive Plan Final Update as of June 14th, 2019
- Comprehensive Plan Final Appendix as of June 14th, 2019
What is a comprehensive plan?
A Comprehensive Plan’s primary role is to establish the community’s vision for its future, to be directional about how to attain this vision, and to assign responsibilities for, and to prioritize, the specific actions that will be taken following completion of the plan. A Comprehensive Plan provides the venue for identifying:
- The current state - take stock of the situation – What do you cherish? What are your issues/concerns about the future?
- The desired state - what does the community want to be like in the future – what is its vision?
- How does the community intend to get there? - According to state law, the plan may include a wide range of topics "at the level of detail adapted to the special requirements of the town..." Topics such as residential growth, economic development, land-use, infrastructure, transportation, open space conservation, recreation, and community character will be addressed in the Comprehensive Plan.
- How does the Comprehensive Plan relate to zoning? - According to state law, “All land use regulations must be in accordance with a comprehensive plan adopted pursuant to this section.” Updating zoning and subdivision regulations is one of the most important tools communities in New York State have for ensuring that future growth contributes to achieving the community’s vision and goals described in the Plan. If needed, the Town of Colonie will revise its local land use regulations to be consistent with the plan.
Comprehensive Plan Past Documents
A complete list of documents related to the comprehensive plan is available below in PDF format. Paper copies are also available for review at the Town Clerk's office and the Planning and Economic Development Department. Hard copies are available for purchase from the Planning and Economic Development Department.