Planning and Economic Development
The purpose of the Planning and Economic Development Department is to provide accurate, timely land use information, assist the general public in matters of planning and land use regulations, and serve as ombudsman for coordination of site related issues and topics.
Temporary Outdoor Seating Approval program for 2021
The second round of the Temporary Outdoor Seating Approval Program provides restaurants with another opportunity to welcome guests to dine outdoors for a 6 month season or until New York State eliminates restrictions on indoor seating. Applications are being accepted at this time. Businesses will be allowed to welcome guests to these temporary outdoor seating areas on April 15. A reduced fee of $150 applies for the application. Temporary outdoor seating approved under this program that will include the use of a tent will apply to the Building Department after approval for a tent permit; a reduced fee of $500 will apply for the entire 6 month period.
Click here to apply for the program.
COLONIE PARTNERS WITH COMMUNITY LOAN FUND
The Town of Colonie will partner with the Community Loan Fund to award $189,500 in federal grants to small businesses impacted by COVID as part of the Colonie Small Business Low to Moderate Income Job Retention Grant Program. See Community Loan Fund for additional information.
Our department represents all citizens of the Town of Colonie in planning for generations of the future to live, work and enjoy the natural and built environment of the Town.
- The administration of land use regulations, staff support to the Planning Board, Significant Environmental Areas Management Appeals Board (SEAMAB), and the Town Board on matters of planned development districts, zoning district modifications, and other planning related local legislation.
- A repository for Town records regarding commercial and residential development actions, services to the general public regarding land use regulations and processes.
- Planning is involved in the preparation of long range planning issues such as the development of the Town wide Comprehensive Plan, Land Use Management Technical Report, subdivision regulations, Generic Environmental Impact Statements, the creation and revision of new and existing local laws and rezoning recommendations.
- Provide information to the public on the location of wetlands, floodplains, protected watercourse areas, and other types of planning and/or project related information.
- The Planning and Economic Development Department interacts with the Colonie Industrial Development Agency to assist in the retention and creation of jobs and tax base within the Town.
- The Conservation Advisory Council (CAC) maintains the Town's open space inventory, promotes interest in the environment through bulletin board displays, public relations, and educational presentations. The CAC supports efforts involved with the acquisition of environmentally significant properties located within the Town and also works with the Environmental Services Department to coordinate and assist in the Town's Hazardous Waste Day.
347 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, NY 12110-2290