Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to frequently asked questions about the Town Historian. If the information you need is not addressed here, please contact us.
The Town of Colonie was formed in 1895 and received its name from the Dutch "Colonye" meaning the settlement outside the city. The name can be traced to maps used by the Dutch patroons in the 1600's.
There are two incorporated villages in the Town; the Village of Colonie and the Village of Menands, as well as several unincorporated, heavily populated areas; Latham, Verdoy, Loudonville, Maplewood, Boght Corners, Maywood, Newtonville, West Albany, Schuyler Heights, Roessleville, Mansville, Lishakill and Stanford Heights.
During the past 30 years, the population has more than doubled as is evidenced by the following figures:
- 1950 Federal Census 29,533
- 1960 Federal Census 52,760
- 1970 Federal Census 59,742
- 1980 Federal Census 74,593
- 1990 Federal Census 76,494
- Present population is approximately 80,000
To assist in the preservation of historic sites and homes in the Town of Colonie and to protect them from incursions of highways and industrial development, the Historian has applied for and been successful in having the following locations placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places:
- 1973 - Watervliet Shaker Historic District
- 1974 - Newtonville Post Office (old Baptist Church)
- 1974 - Schuyler Flatts (archeological site) - In 1994 was also named National Historic Landmark by the Department of the Interior.
- 1979 - Albany Rural Cemetery
- 1979 - Loudon Road Historic District (This includes 30 buildings, 27 on Loudon Road between 381 and 424 Loudon Road, 1 Imperial Drive, and 4 & 5 Cherry Tree Lane)
- 1979 - Loudon Road, Route 9, Multiple Resource District. (This includes eight buildings: Bryan's Store in Loudonville, the D.D.T. Moore Farmhouse, Gorham House, Hughson Mansion, Springwood Manor, Wheeler Home, Whitney Mansion and Godfrey Farmhouse)
- 1980 - Sage Estate (Albany International)
- 1985 - Town of Colonie Multiple Resource District. (This covers 36 buildings, including a Menands Park Historic District of twelve homes on Tillinghast Avenue. The other places are scattered around the Town: 372 and 410 Albany-Shaker Road; 537 and 554 Boght Road; 225 Consaul Road; 140 Dunsbach Ferry Road; 33 Fiddlers Lane; 67 Haswell Road; 294, 441, and 463 Loudon Road; 27 Maxwell Road; 210 Old Loudon Road; 71 Old Niskayuna Road; 34 and 158 Spring Street Road; 957 and 1010 Troy-Schenectady Road; 379 Vly Road; 216 Wolf Road; 272 and 592 Broadway, and 40 Cemetery Avenue in Menands.)
Also included in the 1985 listing on the Registers is the Casparus Pruyn House at 207 Old Niskayuna Road. Acquired by the Town of Colonie in 1982 and restored and in use as a Cultural and Historical Center for the Town, the Pruyn House is now under the management of the Friends of Pruyn House, a non-profit organization. In 1988 the Buhrmaster Barn was moved from its previous site on Troy-Schenectady Road to the grounds of Pruyn House and is being used for summer concerts, wedding receptions, picnics and other events. An herb garden was planted at the rear of the house by the Blue Creek Garden Club in 1985 and a cutting flower garden added by the Fort Orange Garden Club in 1988. The Verdoy School House was moved from Troy-Schenectady Road in 1995 to commemorate the Centennial of the Town of Colonie and is used for programs, school related events and exhibits.