- Your paperwork will not be processed if the following steps are not complied with.
- Remember that all forms must be printed neatly in black ink or typewritten.
- Attachments are permitted and must contain complete address, including zip code.
Building and Fire Services
How to apply for Variances and Special Use Permits
Before you get started
You will need this application if you wish to appeal to the Town of Colonie Zoning Board of Appeals the decision of the Town of Colonie Building Department denying your application for a building and/or zoning permit.
Gather your documents
Ensure the following requirements are met:
- Submit complete DISAPPROVED Zoning Verification package.
- Complete and return one original "Appeal From Decision of an Administrative Official Application for Interpretation/Variance" form. MUST BE NOTARIZED.
- Complete and return original "Environmental Assessment Form".
- Submit ten (10) scaled copies of survey (stamped by a NYS licensed professional), disapproved application, appeal & Short Environmental Assessment form showing:
Keep in mind:
- all dimensions of buildings,
- front, side and rear setbacks of building(s) (proposed and existing),
- lot size,
- area and streets.
If the request is for the development of a single or two family dwelling on an undersized residential lot drawings showing floor plan layout and elevations are required. Drawings are also required for proposed additions, accessory structures etc.
- Submit application fee to process appeal.
- This fee is not refundable.
- Refer to the Building Department Fee Schedule for updated fees.
- Check should be made payable to the "Town of Colonie Building Department".
Submit your documents
Submit complete paper work directly by appointment only. Call (518) 783-2706 to schedule an appointment and pick up 2nd packet, "Affidavit of Delivery and Posting of Notices".
Return "Affidavit of Delivery and Posting of Notices"
Return "Affidavit of Delivery and Posting of Notices" to the Building Department and at that time your hearing date will be confirmed.
Appear at the Public Hearing
The Zoning Board of Appeals holds public hearings on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 7p.m..
Public Operations Center
Typically an appeal for a Variance or SUP will be scheduled six to ten weeks after complete paperwork and fee are submitted.
- Applicant must appear at the public hearing.
- If you are going to submit anything to the ZBA at the hearing, 10 copies will be required.
Before any work is started
- If a variance or SUP is granted for residential application, a Building and Zoning Permit must be obtained before any work is started.
- If a variance or SUP is granted for subdivision or business, you must obtain final approval from the Planning Board and a Building and Zoning Permit must be obtained before any work is started.
Still have questions?
You can contact us at our office line. If you are still stuck, we can help you figure out everything when you visit our office.
347 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, NY 12110-2286