Pruyn House - Timeline

Pruyn House was built on land leased by Robert Dunbar, uncle of Casparus F. Pruyn (1792-1846). Built as a summer residence, the house is a three story brick dwelling, five bays wide, with late Federal and early Greek Revival elements. The house has a flat roof with parapet walls and four chimneys. Casparus, as well as his uncle, worked for the Dutch patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer III as a land agent. This home is known to be one of the earliest private residences in the area.

Death of Stephen Van Rensselaer III. Casparus becomes owner of the property including the house and approximately 182 acres.

Ann Hewson Pruyn, wife of Casparus, dies. She and Casparus were parents of ten children.

Casparus marries Gertrude Bulson.

Casparus dies at the age of 54 before child Martha is born.

The Pruyn House and 114 acres are sold at auction for $3,800.00 to Alfred Mayell. Thereafter the house changes ownership many times.

John and Carrie Henkes buy the property including 80 acres for $3,250.000. Thereafter some members of the Henkes/Haswell family resided on this property for the next 89 years.

Town of Colonie acquires the house and 5.43 acres from the last owner and widower Henry Sid Bailley. The Town pays $110,000, a purchase made intending to restore the home and property as a historic and cultural center for the Town. Extensive restoration begins including brick work, roof, plumbing, heating, windows, floors, some woodwork and a kitchenette.


The Casparus F. Pruyn House is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.

The Buhrmaster Barn is purchased and rebuilt on this site to replace a Barn known to be at the rear of the property and which burned down in the 1950's.
The original "fire barn" was home to the Emergency Services station of Verdoy, New York.

The Friends of Pruyn House receives a Certificate of Incorporation from the Regents of the University of the State of New York. The mission of the Friends, a not-for-profit corporation, in partnership with the Town of Colonie, is to restore, conserve and preserve the Pruyn House Complex as authorized by the provisions of the Certificate of Incorporation.


A Restroom facilty is built on the property to accommodate a variety of events being held at this site.


The Town of Colonie is celebrating its Centennial. As a living memorial, the Verdoy Schoolhouse, a one room school on the National Register, is moved to this site. A Centennial Time Capsule is buried in front where it will remain until 2095 when the Town celebrates its Bicentennial.


Restoration of the Carriage House is begun. The Pruyn House Complex continues to grow as a historic, cultural, educational and social center for the area.

To learn more about the Pruyn family history, click here.