The Colonie Historical Oracle

If you are interested in any of the listed editions that do not have the PDF document attached, please contact the Town Historian via the contact us form.

Edition Date Title Author
Vol. 13, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2017 The Dutch Door of the Schuyler Home at The Flatts Kevin Franklin
Vol. 13, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2017 Jane S. Olton Colonie Town Historian Emeritus 1969-2003 Kevin Franklin
Vol. 12, No. 4 Oct.-Dec., 2016 The West Troy Water Works Kevin Franklin
Vol. 12, No. 3 Jul.-Sep., 2016 The Bacon Family of Loudonville and the Loudon Plank Road Kevin Franklin
Vol. 12, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2016 Confederates in Colonie!!! Mark T. Bodnar
Vol. 12, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2016 A Traffic Light—On the Northway??? Jeff English
Vol. 11, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2015 The Forgotten Burial Ground of the West Watervliet or Union Methodist Church Kevin Franklin
Vol. 11, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2015 What's in Your Family Bible?
The Knapp Family
Mary Alingh
Bebe Morehead
Vol. 11, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2015 How Did Wolf Road Get Its Name Mark T. Bodnar
Vol. 11, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2015 The Snow Cruiser Kevin Franklin & Anthony Wayne, Jennifer M. Paley
Vol. 10, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2014 It's All Relative Jennifer M. Paley
Vol. 10, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2014 Rediscovering Benjamin Prescott (1775-1826) & the Albany Water Works. Part 2 Kevin Franklin
Vol. 10, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2014 Rediscovering Benjamin Prescott (1775-1826) & the Albany Water Works. Part 1 Kevin Franklin
Vol. 10, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2014 From Sheep to Shipping: A Short History of the Albany Felt Company of Menands and the Production of Paper-Making Felts, 1895-2010 Kevin Franklin
Vol.9, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2013 Stories Behind the Stones: Military Heroes Interred in St. Agnes Cemetery Mark Bodnar
Vol.9, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2013 The Dutch Door from the Schuyler House Charley Flanagan
Vol.9, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2013 The Cohoes Crescent Road Kevin Franklin
Vol.9, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2013 The Civil War Arrives in Colonie Mark Bodnar
Vol.8, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2012 Hedge Lawn, Part 2 Kevin Franklin
Vol.8, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2012 Hedge Lawn, Part 1 Kevin Franklin
Vol.8, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2012 The Free Church of St. Margaret at Menands Kevin Franklin
Vol.8, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2012 Streets: What's Behind a Name Kevin Franklin
Vol.7, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2011 Who Took Bertha Cleveland? Kevin Franklin
Vol.7, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2011 Colonie's Disappearing Heritage, part 2 Kevin Franklin
Vol.6, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2010 Colonie's Disappearing Heritage, part 1 Kevin Franklin
Vol.6, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2010 Ebenezer Hills, Jr. Farmhouse on the Move Anthony Brankman
Vol.6, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2010 Mannsville Kevin Franklin
Vol.6, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2010 The Old Family Cemeteries of Colonie Kevin Franklin
Vol.5, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2009 Ths Sage Family and Their Estates, part 2 Kevin Franklin
Vol.5, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2009 Ths Sage Family and Their Estates, part 1 Kevin Franklin
Vol.5, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2009 A century of struggle at Schuyler Flatts Paul Huey
Vol.5, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2009 Don't miss the boat. New historic sign at Schuyler Flatts Charles Flanagan
Vol.4, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2008 Leland Stanford, part 2 Kevin Franklin
Vol.4, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2008 Leland Stanford, part 1 Kevin Franklin
Vol.4, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2008 A Colonie Calamity; radioactive dusts at the former N. L. Industries site Kevin Franklin
Vol.4, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2008 Schuyler Flatts revisited; the saga of Isaac Jogue, S. J. and his escape, part 2 Charles Flanagan & Charles Franklin
Vol.3, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2007 Schuyler Flatts revisited; the saga of Isaac Jogue, S. J. and his escape, part 1 Charles Flanagan & Charles Franklin
Vol.3, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2007 Thomas Hillhouse, 1766-1834; Hillhouse lands sold to Albany Rural Cemetery in 1841 Kevin Franklin
Vol.3, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2007 Squire Whipple, 1804-1888; the father of iron bridges in America Kevin Franklin
Vol.3, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2007 Levittown, North part 2 Charles Franklin
Vol.2, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2006 Levittown, North part 1 Charles Franklin
Vol.2, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2006 Mulberry Hill; the intriguing story of "Mulberry Hill" and it's connection to the French Revolution Jean Olton
Vol.2, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2006 The Pruyn Family & the Pruyn House Diane Morgan & Charles Flanagan
Vol.2, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2006 The Ebenezer Hills, Jr. Farmhouse (one of the oldest farm houses still standing in Colonie) Anthony Brankman
Vol.1, No.4 Oct.-Dec., 2005 Growing up in "Polack Town", part 2, (a "town" within a village) Charles Franklin
Vol.1, No.3 Jul.-Sep., 2005 Growing up in "Polack Town", part 1, (a "town" within a village) Charles Franklin
Vol.1, No.2 Apr.-Jun., 2005 The Albany Car Wheel Company; Clickety- clack, clickety- clack, clickety- clack down the railroad tracks Charles Franklin
Vol.1, No.1 Jan.-Mar., 2005 Welcome. The Schuyler Flatts - what is this all about? Charles Franklin & Charles Flanagan
Historical Places in the Town of Colonie, N.Y.

Colonie was settled in 1630 by Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer for the Dutch West India Company. Rensselaerswyck included land purchased from the Indians, and ran from Beeren Island in the Hudson River, approximately 11 miles south of the City of Albany, to the Cohoes Falls in the Mohawk River.

The Town of Colonie: A Pictorial History

A The Town of Colonie: A Pictorial History was published in 1980. It was compiled by Jean S. Olton with the assistance of members Maurine Evans, Dee Hebrandson, Arthur Johnson, Elizabeth Shaver, Barbara Ruch Puig; with graphics by Elizabeth Lee. Chapters include: the early history of the land, the military history, economic neighborhoods, and much more.

The History of the Religious Communities in the Town of Colonie

The History of the Religious Communities in the Town of Colonie was first published in 1976 under auspices of the women of the women of St. Mathew's Episcopal Church, edited by Reverend Alfred O. Siegal of the Loudonville Presbyterian Church. The 1995 version was edited by Rev. Siegel and Jean S. Olton, Historian, with all religious communities submitting updated information.

The Archaeology of Schuyler Flatts

The Archaeology of Schuyler Flatts is an 8 page pamphlet describing the investigations conducted by Paul Huey, New York State Archaeologist.