You have to enclose photocopies of cards and certifications to be elegible.
Civil Service exam requirements posted on this page are for Police Officers, Public Safety Dispatcher, Emergency Medical Technician / Paramedic and Librarian. Keep in mind that there may be additional requirements not listed below. Refer to each exam announcement for additional information.
Police Officer Requirements
Colonie Police Officer candidates are required to take a New York State written civil service examination. The written exam is scheduled once every three years. The exam announcement will be posted here.
Colonie Police Officer candidates must meet the following requirements on or before the date of the New York State Civil Service written test.
Satisfactory completion of sixty (60) college credit hours from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university.
Candidates must be at least 19 years old to be admitted to the test and must have reached his or her 20th birthday to be certified as eligible for appointment. Candidates who reach their 35th birthday on or before the date of the written examination are not qualified except as follows.* Candidates may have a period of military duty or terminal leave up to six years, as defined in Section 243 (10-a) of the Military Law, deducted from their age for purposes of determining whether they meet the age requirement.
Applicants must be a resident of New York State in either Albany, Rensselaer, Columbia, Greene, Schoharie, Schenectady or Saratoga County for at least (4) four months prior to the date of examination. New York State Civil Service Law Section 23, Subdivision 4-A, allows the Town of Colonie to give preference in appointment to Town Residents.
Public Safety Dispatcher Requirements
Public Safety Dispatcher candidates are required to take a New York State written civil service examination. The exam announcement will be posted here.
Colonie Public Safety Dispatcher candidates must meet the following requirements on or before the date of the New York State Civil Service written test.
- Graduation from high school
- One (1) year of experience involving large volume of public contact
- Appropriate keyboarding skills
Emergency Medical Technician / Paramedic Requirements
At the time of application, candidates must meet all of the following qualifications as a condition of employment:
- Completion of high school or possession of high school equivalency diploma
- Current certification as a NYS Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (AEMT-4) (applies to Paramedic applicants) or current NYS EMT-Basic Certification (applies to EMT applicants)
- Current certification in American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (applies to Paramedic applicants)
- Current certification in Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider (CPR)
- Possession and maintenance of a valid NYS motor vehicle operator’s license and an acceptable driving record
- Refer to the specific exam announcements that you are interested for the minimum qualifications required.
- Remit the non refundable fee (check or money order only).
- Complete the application and sign it.
- Provide a copy of your Public Librarian Certificate.
- Provide verifiable transcripts of both undergraduate and MLS graduate degree.
All forms must be legible (printed neatly or typewritten).
534 New Loudon Road
Latham, NY 12110