The Albany Rural Cemetery was incorporated in 1841 with it's creation meant to open a vast natural setting for the final resting place of the many nearby residents of Albany, Watervliet, Cohoes, and beyond. The Albany Rural is known for it's many sculptures and mausoleums and more.
What many do not realize is that the Albany Rural Cemetery sits entirely within the Town of Colonie. It consists of nearly 500 acres of beautiful rolling hills, ravines, and streams with waterfalls. The Albany Rural Cemetery was created to provide the residents of Albany City with open and spacious grounds to relieve the already crowded burial grounds within the City. In fact many of the burials located within the City of Albany were transferred to the Albany Rural Cemetery after it opened.
No less than three books have been published about the Albany Rural Cemetery. The first known publication is by Henry W. Churchill in 1857. The second by Edward Fitzgerald in 1871 and the third by Henry P. Phelps of Brookside Avenue in Menands in 1893.
Please visit the following sites for more information about:
Albany Rural Cemetery