Police Phone Numbers

Child Safety Seats

Child Seat logo

Sex Offenders

Colonie Sex Offenders Icon



Colonie Home

Town of Colonie

Site map

Frequently Asked Questions

Phone IconHow do I contact the Police Department?

In an emergency dial 911 from any phone within the Town of Colonie and you will reach a Public Safety Dispatcher. This number applies for any emergency - police, fire, or emergency medical services (EMS).

For non-emergency calls requiring police assistance, call 783-2744.

For routine questions or problems, the Police Front Desk can be reached at 783-2744.

Other numbers of interest:

 Investigations 783-2754
(incidents involving those under 16)
Traffic Safety
(hit & run investigations, speed complaints) 
Community Services and D.A.R.E.  782-2662 
Animal Control
(domestic and wild animal complaints)
Police Administration
(Chief and Deputy Chiefs)
Records  783-2809
Fax  786-7326

Where is the Police Department located?

The Police Department is located at 312 Wolf Road in Colonie. It is in the section of Wolf Road sometimes called "Old Wolf Road," and is State Route 155. View a map of the Police Department address and you can also get driving directions from that link.

How do I get a copy of a report?

crashAccident Report: If you need a copy of an accident report you may come to the front desk of the police department to request one. It is generally advisable to wait at least 48 hours after the accident to request a copy since it must be submitted and reviewed before it can be released. Accidents where a hit and run occurred or those involving serious injuries or death may take much longer. You may check on the availability of an accident report by calling the Police Front Desk at 783-2744. The cost for an accident report from the front desk is $0.25 per page.

If you wish to obtain your accident report electronically, you can go to
www.crashdocs.org. The cost of this service is $15.00.

reportIncident Report: Reports of other incidents may be obtained by filing a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request form at the Police Front Desk. This form is an application for the release of information. You will be notified within 5 days in regard to the release of information. Copies of some reports may be available sooner. Contact the Records Division (783-2809) for further information.

How do I file a bad check complaint?

Reports can be filed anytime at the front desk of the police department or an officer can respond to your Town of Colonie business or home. Before any enforcement action can commence several steps must be taken by you the complainant. To view these steps and print them please go here. If you have any further questions contact Investigations at 783-2754.

How do I obtain a pistol permit application?

For information on obtaining a pistol permit application call Ptl. David Messmer at 783-2754.

Will the Colonie Police check my property while I'm away or on vacation?

Yes. To have your property placed on our Property Check list please call 518-783-2744 and a Communicator will take your information. Please do not call more than 48 hours in advance from the first day the property will be vacant.

Civil Fingerprinting

FingerprintThe Colonie Police Department will no longer provide the service of Civil Fingerprinting. Civil fingerprinting is all fingerprinting other than for criminal offenses.

Civil fingerprinting are now done by L-1 Idenity Solutions. For an appointment call 877-472-6915 or on line at www.l1enrollment.com.